Ajax Downs Opens 50th Season
AJAX, ONT—APRIL 28, 2019— Hold on to your hats, the Quarter Horses are back!
The 50th anniversary of Quarter Horse Racing at Ajax Downs kicks off Sunday May 5, the first of 25 exciting racing days and special events to celebrate half a century of the popular sport.
What started as friendly match races between horses and their owners became an organized sport in 1969 at Picov Downs, named for one of its founders, Alex Picov.
The sport grew under the Picov family and today, Quarter Horse racing is held at the state of the art, five-furlong Ajax Downs, where Sunday afternoons at the races are the best days of the summer!
All of the tracks popular event days are back including Mother's Day, Craft Beer Day, family Day and more plus a special 50th Anniversary afternoon on July 14 complete with Wiener Dog Races.
Top riders Brian Bell, Cory Spataro, Tony Phillips and Ramiro Castillo are back plus many of the Champion horses from recent years including 3-time Horse of the Year Country Boy 123.
Soak in the scenery, the fun, the food and the great racing at Ajax Downs this year!
Stakes races on the 2019 scheduled include:
- Ontario Bred Futurity $50,000 Added by QHRIDP
- Ontario Sires Stakes Futurity ($50,000 Added by QHRIDP
- Alex Picov Memorial Futurity $50,000 Added
- Ontario Bred Derby $50,000 Added
- Ontario Sires Stakes Derby $50,000 Added by QHRIDP
- Picov Derby $50,000 Added
- Picov Maturity $50,000 Added
- Ontario Sires Stakes Maturity $50,000 Added by QHRIDP
- Ontario Bred Maturity $50,000 Added
- Alex Picov Memorial Championship $50,000 Added
CLICK HERE for complete information on the approved 2019 stakes program.
For more information please visit ajaxdowns.com.