Sale Dates
Race Dates
Sale Dates
Race Dates

Fab Filly Overcomes Slow Start to win Princess Derby

Had to Be Fabulous_NewImage
©New Image Media

Overcoming a slow start and some bumping, HAD TO BE FABULOUS turned on the jets late to win the $51,030 Princess Derby for 3-year-old Quarter Horse fillies at Ajax Downs on Wednesday.
The Ontario-bred by One Fabulous Eagle – Had to Be Fandango was sent off as the heavy 1 to 20 favourite for the 350-yard dash but things didn’t go smoothly for the filly and jockey Ismael Mosqueira out of the gate. After a bit of a stutter-step start, Had to Be Fabulous traded a solid bump with rival Sweeet D, causing her to lose her momentum.
“We broke a bit slow,” said Mosqueira. “Believe me, I got a bit worried the first 300 yards, but once she got rolling and I saw that we were gaining, then the worries were done.”
In a blink, Had to Be Fabulous flew past leader Magic in Wonderland, a 29 to 1 longshot, and then held off a charging Sassies Best to win in a time of 17.892 for a 94 speed index. The Princess Derby was the seventh win in succession for Had to Be Fabulous and 10th win in 11 career races. She is owned by her breeders, Carol and Jaime Robterson of Hillsburgh and trained by Bryn Robertson.
“She never stresses,” said Robertson about Had to Be Fabulous. “She’s quiet. In the paddock, she just stands there. She doesn’t use herself up.”
Robertson said the Norman Picov Derby against the boys would be next for Had to Be Fabulous.
*Earlier in the afternoon, Had to Be Fabulous’ celebrated older, half-brother HAD TO BE IVORY won for the 32nd time in his career in the Gridiron Gallop at 110-yards. The 10-year-old gelding is preparing for the Alex Picov Championship at season’s end.
*ROB BURNS of Unxbridge had his first win as an owner when STOLIN SECRETS broke his maiden in race 2 on Wednesday. Burns has been involved in Quarter Horse racing for several years, but Stolin Secrets, a 3-year-old by Ontario sire Caviar and Corona, is the first one he has purchased. 
“[Trainer] Chantal Bourgeois found him for me, and she does a great job, and Cassandra [Jeschke] broke him to saddle and is an incredible rider. It was an exciting win, my daughter was here screaming for him.”

*Racing continues at Ajax Downs, next Wednesday, August 13 with the running of the $30,000 PRINCESS MATURITY. First race post time next week is 1:45 p.m. Admission and parking are always free at Ajax Downs. You can watch and wager on our exciting races trackside, up close to the action, at our picnic tables. To reserve tables in advance for $25 or book the VIP room for your party or group, contact www.ajaxdowns.com.
There is also an expansive simulcast wagering room with tellers or you can wager through www.HPIBet.com.

If you want to get involved in owning a Quarter Horse, contact the Quarter Racing Owners of Ontario at 905- 426-7050.

VIDEO REPLAY OF PRINCESS DERBY– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im4vd4HLPsg

SHARE THIS STORY

Up next

Speedhorse Stake recap

Delta Downs was buzzing with excitement today for a Stakes Race! Take a glance at the winner now, and stay tuned for our full Stakes Results!

Delta Downs
WINNER of the 2026 Old South Derby
CHILLEY (#5)
c. (Chilitos-Zoom in On Me, Shazoom)
Breeder: Tommy And/Or Johanna Bullard
Owner: Jaime Cardenas
Trainer: Ponce, Josue
Jockey: Garcia, Jorge
Remaining Order of Finish: Sheza a Whirlawaytoo (#4), Hi Octane (#6), Eyes So Gray (#3), Jess Telling Beau (#1), Cm Dashing Cartel (#2), Prey N Corona (#8), Ivorys Cartel (#10), Syms Sin Tacha (#9), Aj Big Cash (#7)


Association Of Racing Commissioners International (RCI)


PRESS RELEASE – MAY 14, 2026 –
Racing regulators from across North America who are members of the ARCI met today to
consider a new aggressive approach being utilized in Oklahoma to safeguard horses
utilizing “Emergency Protective Orders” to temporarily exclude horses in the care of
trainers whose horses have demonstrated an abnormal and materially elevated pattern of
severe post-race distress, including repeated incidents in which horses were unable to
safely leave the track under their own power.


To date three trainers have received such orders effectively excluding 171 horses by putting
them on the “Stewards List” temporarily. Affected horses are subject to testing, veterinary
examination, record production, and individualized regulatory review before they may be
considered for removal from that status. The orders provide for the nomination of a
“guardian ad litem” to conduct an independent investigation concerning the welfare of the
affected horses.


ARCI President Ed Martin said that “using the Stewards or Vets list to exclude a horse from
competition is not new, but Oklahoma’s use of “Emergency Protective Orders” to
temporarily exclude all horses managed by a particular trainer is.”
“This is an important new approach that all racing regulators should consider utilizing,”
Martin told the regulators.


In Oklahoma such orders are only issued after the Stewards reviewed evidence, reports,
video recordings, veterinary opinions, and other information concerning horses that
appeared in extreme distress after racing and have determined that there is an abnormal
and materially elevated pattern. Each Order states that the pattern was repeated,
documented, and sufficiently serious to require immediate regulatory intervention.


The regulators were briefed by Amanda English, Interim Executive Director of the Oklahoma
Racing Commission and the commission’s General Counsel Michael Copeland.
Ms. English told her colleagues that the Stewards relied on veterinary opinions from three
veterinarians who concluded that the condition shown by the horses was extreme,
unusual, not a normal post-race recovery pattern, materially adverse to equine welfare,
and inconsistent with the safe and humane participation of such horses in racing absent
further investigation and clearance.


“When horses show signs of extreme distress, we will not look away, we will not minimize
it, and we will not wait for another incident before taking action. These emergency
measures are designed to protect horses immediately, secure the evidence, and ensure
that no horse connected to this matter returns to competition unless and until the
Commission is satisfied that it is safe and humane for that horse to race,” she said.


The Order requires mandatory pre-race and out-of-competition testing, mandatory
veterinary examinations, immediate post-race examination of any horse showing abnormal
recovery or distress, production of veterinary and treatment records, and inspection of
relevant barns, stalls, tack rooms, treatment areas, and other enclosure locations. The
Order also preserves the Commission’s authority to pursue additional remedies if
warranted.


Under the Order, affected horses are subject to testing, veterinary examination, record
production, and individualized regulatory review before they may be considered for
removal from that status.
The Emergency Protective Order states that the Stewards found an abnormal and
materially elevated pattern of severe post-race distress among the affected horses,
including repeated incidents in which horses were unable to safely leave the track under
their own power and required transport from the racing surface. The Order further states
that the pattern was repeated, documented, and sufficiently serious to require immediate
regulatory intervention.


The Stewards also relied on veterinary opinions from three veterinarians who concluded
that the condition shown by the horses was extreme, unusual, not a normal post-race
recovery pattern, materially adverse to equine welfare, and inconsistent with the safe and
humane participation of such horses in racing absent further investigation and clearance.
“The protection of the horse comes first, and the Commission will act decisively when the
facts show a serious threat to equine welfare,” said Interim Executive Director Amanda
English. “When horses show signs of extreme distress, we will not look away, we will not
minimize it, and we will not wait for another incident before taking action. These emergency
measures are designed to protect horses immediately, secure the evidence, and ensure
that no horse connected to this matter returns to competition unless and until the
Commission is satisfied that it is safe and humane for that horse to race.”

by ASSOCIATION OF RACING COMMISSIONERS INTERNATIONAL

_06 MY ROYAL SWINGER RC06
© New Image Media

AJAX DOWNS, MAY 14, 2026 – The equine star of Ajax Downs‘ card of racing on a crisp, windy May 13, Had to Be Ivory, won for the 34th time while later in the afternoon, jockey Corry Beland won his first race of his young career.

The second day of Ajax Downs‘ 2026 Quarter Horse season, which followed a record-breaking wagering opening day, May 6, featured the return of multiple champion HAD TO BE IVORY, the richest Canadian bred Quarter Horse in history. Now 11 years old, the big bay Ontario bred gelding was as quick and slick as ever, winning the featured Gridiron Gallop dash at 110 yards by three-quarters of a length over another champion, Snow Moose.

Ridden by Ismael Mosqueira for owners Carol and Jaime Robertson, Had to Be Ivory raced the distance in a quick 6.855, just shy of his own track record of 6.761.

“He was just so happy, bouncing and on his toes” said Mosqueira, last year’s High Point Jockey at Ajax Downs. “He was so relaxed walking to the gate and just walked in ready to go. The way he runs, he’s like a three or four-year-old.” Had to Be Ivory’s young half sister, Had to Be Fabulous, was the 2025 Horse of the Year and won her 2026 season debut last week.

*Jockey CORRY BELAND earned his first career race when he guided My Royal Swinger to victory in race six for owner and trainer Joe Tavares. The Alberta-born son of former jockeys Stu Brown and Carole Beland was riding in only his seventh career race including his first three races late last season.

©New Image Media

“I just got beat a nose in the race before so that gave me some motivation,” said Beland. “I just tried to not override him and just sit chilly and let the horse do the work.”

Fellow Ajax Downs jockeys awaited Beland to return from the winner’s circle before dousing him with buckets of water, the typical initiation for a jockey when they win their first race.

Corry also hopes to also ride Thoroughbreds at Woodbine this year.

Racing continues at Ajax Downs on Wednesday, May 20 with a first race post time of 3:30 p.m. Admission is always free and you can watch and wager on the races from trackside tables or at www.HPIBet.com.

Be sure to visit www.ajaxdowns.com for the racing schedule and list of events coming up.

By Ajax Downs

Your compare list

Compare
REMOVE ALL
COMPARE
0